Vignette (literature), short, impressionistic scenes that focus on one moment or give a particular insight into a character, idea, or setting.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Engagement Story:

The story as previously written for facebook. Please forgive the craziness and lack of logical thought process, I've been in quite a whirlwind!
A few weeks ago, John and my momma and I were discussing wedding venues and general ideas. He mentioned time frame being Christmas or next summer. My wonderful Momma blurted out, "What's wrong with THIS summer?? I was really hoping to have this family thing wrapped up before then!" His response was less than favorable.... John is taking classes to get his masters in education, and had to pay for this last semester out of pocket. Which meant he had that sum on a credit card. And we both were pretty adamant about eliminating debt before we were married. So he just said that we needed to pray that God sent a bunch of tree jobs his way. So I did:)
We had seen a particular diamond ring at an antique store near John's house in early February, and it was just everything I loved in a ring. But at that time we weren't necessarily considering marriage soon.
This last Friday was our six month anniversary, and John had made reservations at the Rio Grille in downtown G-ville. He had mentioned wanting to go to Falls park beforehand if the weather permitted, and I thought " Man, that would be a nice place to get engaged.....it's not happening.." So I had talked myself out of expecting it. He picked me up at my place about 4 pm and we headed downtown. God answered our prayer for a parking spot right on the bridge, and we headed down into the park.
John had told me on the way that Jonathan and Jeanette had invited us to hang out with us that night. And then while we were there he got a call from Aaron. He told me that Aaron had wanted to hang out with us that night too. So we wandered around some more, and he led me down the hill to the bank of the river. I put up a very small fuss as I was wearing new shoes that were slick. He led me to a bench with a dozen yellow roses with orange tips, a card and a gold wrapped box.
When I opened the box, I found a new silver chain for a necklace that I had broken just that week. So I was blown away by his thoughtfulness because he knew that it was my favorite necklace, but I had only mentioned once that it had broken.
I asked him how he got it down there, and he told me he might tell me "someday". I looked up and saw a man that looked strangely like Aaron Higgs walking across the hill with a camera. So I asked if it could possibly have been that man that looked ridiculously like our friend Aaron. He said "ummm...yeah, maybe....ok, yeah. It was Aaron." So he told me that we had another hour til our reservation at the Rio Grille, so we should walk around some more. He led me down to the bridge in the back corner and told me he had one more gift for me. So he whipped the ring out of his pocket and said that this one would require a little more commitment. And he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. When I first saw the ring I said
"Really? Really???" And when he asked me, my response was immediate and "Absolutely!" So he stood and put the ring on my finger and gave me a hug.
Pictures, and hellos to Jeanette and Jonathan and we headed to the Rio Grille, texting most of the way. I did eventually put the phone away and eat lots of meat!! I told my mom I had decided to start a "save the vegetables" campaign, and become a meatatarian:) So that's the story

No comments:

Post a Comment