Vignette (literature), short, impressionistic scenes that focus on one moment or give a particular insight into a character, idea, or setting.

Friday, May 14, 2010

My heart is filled with thankfulness...

It's FRIDAY!! Yesterday was so productive compared to today, but I haven't felt as well today-I may have overdone it yesterday....BUT the guest list is done!! Guest lists for showers are done!! people have been contacted, and Theresa Bixby is happy:) I am thankful for people who want to bless me by organizing a shower for me, and I'm thankful that my half of the work is done! Again, the guest list is supposedly the toughest part of planning a wedding. The first couple days we were engaged were pretty awful. My parents were completely unaccustomed to large weddings ad were worried about feeding all the people that John and his family wanted to invite. John was eventually became frustrated with me for trying to please all sides, and I was ready to elope after being engaged for two days!! But God gave so much grace, and my in-laws were so sweet and encouraging, assuring me that about half the people we invited wouldn't even come,but they would most likely send a gift:)
As I think about the help they have been, I am so thankful for them! Mom Pachter has always made me feel so comfortable at family parties, she came and stayed with me in the hospital while John worked with my momma. She is probably one of the sweetest women I know. She is going to be a great mother-in-law. She's kind, thoughtful, helpful(but not intrusive), and has a unique sense of humor. I am always amazed at the things that this family jokes about...
Dad Pachter is a quiet man who can do ever so many things. I'd say he's the jack of all the trades my daddy doesn't do. He is ridiculously patient with Christmas lights, I was impressed to see him helping Mom Pachter with Christmas decorations, organizing linen trunks, etc. Those are things my daddy never had time to do, as he typically worked at least 2 jobs to keep the house warm and food on the table ( Northern living is EXPENSIVE!)
My daddy amazes me with the way he uses the talents God has given him. Daddy has been a General contractor, able to build a house from the foundation up, and everything in between. He has built and assembled automated machines. During the time he was in school for this, he was working a shift and a half on top of it. Travel time was about an hour, meaning he got about 3 hours of sleep every night....for 9 months. Did you know that a piece of paper is 3/1000ths of an inch thick? He can cut a piece of steel to 1/1000th of an inch thick. He's a master welder, a very capable auto mechanic (30+ years experience on buses, motorhomes, family cars and postal vehicles) He's a genius driveway plower, able to plan for an entire winter of falling snow in upstate NY, this takes some thinking. The snow just keeps coming, and eventually, the banks become solid and don't move. So then there is no place to put the new snow. Solution: begin the winter ( in October ) by plowing the driveway wide enough to land a commercial aircraft. By the end of winter (May) there will be just enough room for our van to make it down the driveway. Making the driveway so wide also cuts down on the number of times we kids ( me and my brother Randy )had to shovel before church ( once or twice in 2 hours instead of 5-6 times) My daddy built a small vehicle out of plywood with 2 small axles, 4 wheels and steering capabilities...at the age of 3! I do believe he could figure out anything.
My momma is a tough-as-nails-don't-give-me-any-attitude-jump-when-I-say-jump kind of woman. She taught us colors and pairs by teaching us to fold laundry, probably at 1&1/2 years. She taught me to read at the age of 4, reading from the KJV in Sunday school kind of reading. She taught me to clean a toilet, sweep a floor, make my bed properly, fold clothes correctly and perfectly, how to look for dirt and make it disappear, all before I was 7. She taught me to change a diaper, give a bottle, soothe a teething baby, how to check for a fever, how to potty train and how to discipline according to God's Word. She taught me how to teach, and to train the children I nannied for. She taught me to bake, and how to get a meal prepared and all hot at once ( I definitely need some practice on this one). She taught me to shop carefully, to get the best deals, and that name brands don't matter. She demonstrated how to decorate a home with a very limited budget, and how to use my daddy's money carefully. Cleaning is a consistent part of her daily routine, and my daddy has always appreciated coming home to a clean house.
But the most exciting things I have learned, I have learned from the Holy Spirit that indwells me. I have learned some of my weaknesses, and how to overcome them. I have learned humility ( still learning that one! ), and grace towards others. I have learned that only Christ satisfies me. This is perhaps the most important thing I have learned and understood, apart from the truths of the gospel. As much as I love family, and friends and the ones who care about me, nothing compares to the love of Christ for me. And no one deserves my devotion more than he does.To truly experience the joy and satisfaction that Christ brings leaves me searching the recesses of my mind for words to describe it....unusual for a person who loves words.
So what have I learned from John? I have learned what love is, and how to demonstrate it in a way he understands. I have learned to put his needs above my own-which has been really tough a few times. I have realized what a gift he is, and am starting to see how much he loves me, and I'm in awe. I'm unsure as to why God has given me this man. I know that he is not perfect, I have already seen many of his shortcomings, and will surely learn more as we continue counseling, and as we start life together-but I'm thankful. He loves God, and he loves me.
Sometimes I look around at all the work I've been doing to plan this wedding, and all that has yet to be done, and I think " Holy Crap! I'm actually getting married...for real?? Am I ready for this?" And sometimes I think I'm not, I'm selfish, I'm easily frustrated, I'm prideful-how can I possibly love someone more than myself? How can I possibly serve him, and help him serve others with my sin issues? No,I'm not ready! But then the Holy Spirit calms my heart, and reminds me of the work he has done in me through John. The love he demonstrates to me, and the help he gives me. And the truth is, that God has given me opportunities to be selfless and help John serve others, and to be a humble follower-and has given me the desire to honor Christ, and to honor John! Wow.....As crazy as the whole wedding planning process is, I'm ready. Ready to marry John, ready to start life. Ready to serve him, and serve others with him. Anxious to continue growing more like Christ as we grow together. God is good....He's so very, very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment